Welcome to the Behavioral Health Department
At Two Spirit Health Services, we know the mind and body are inseparable, such that holistic wellness depends on physical, social, psychological, spiritual, and behavioral health. Our team is here to discuss your behavioral health concerns and to help support your wellness. We believe that every person deserves dignity and respect on their journey towards greater well-being. Whether you seek relief from serious psychological distress or desire more self-efficacy in your life, we want to partner with you on your individualized goals and help you to find more stability, balance, and peace.
Psychotherapy, also called talk therapy or just “therapy,” is delivered by our skilled, culturally-competent counselors. In therapy, people are encouraged to be curious and open-minded when it comes to better understanding their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors, often with the goal of finding new perspectives and better ways to manage and cope with life’s challenges. Our counselors are trained in various therapeutic modalities that are tailored to your needs, including cognitive-behavioral, solutions-focused, mindfulness-based, existential, humanistic, person-centered, motivational interviewing, crisis intervention, and expressive arts. Half of our therapists are bi-lingual and bi-cultural and can provide services in Spanish.
Two Spirit Health Services also offers support for psychiatric care and management of psychiatric medications. Our psychiatrist will work with you to determine if medication is the right path and, if so, which medications will work best to address your specific needs and improve your overall quality of life. In addition to medication recommendations, many people will benefit from lifestyle medicine interventions, highlighting the important impact of sleep, nutrition, physical activity, and stress management on overall health and wellness.
Our therapy services and psychiatric care are confidential, compassionate, and accessible, regardless of individual financial situations.
There are many resources available if you or a friend or loved one is struggling with various addictive behaviors, including tobacco, alcohol, drugs, or food. Two Spirit’s Behavioral Health Department offers counseling, support, and referrals when needed, to help with addiction issues, especially for the LGBTQ+ community in which these behaviors are more prevalent.
We provide holistic services for all ages, delivered by a Board-Certified Psychiatrist and Licensed Therapists with the following specialties:
Counseling for stress, anxiety, life changes, and depression
Trauma and PTSD
Gender-affirming care and transition support
HIV+ and other chronic health conditions
Behavioral Health Core Mission
As behavioral health providers at Two Spirit Health, we hold these core beliefs and values in common, which unite our approach and guide our practice in serving the LGBTQ+ and Ally community:
1. Trauma-informed: We understand that many behavioral health issues can be traced back to traumatic experiences in one’s life, and healing from such trauma may begin by creating a trusting relationship and then identifying and modifying previously learned responses to past situations that are no longer serving the individual in the present.
2. Strengths-based: We believe that each person has unique, intrinsic qualities and strengths that must be harnessed and reinforced in order to make progress on their journey towards greater mental and emotional well-being.
3. Empowerment-focused: We strive to empower every individual to learn new skills, develop more balanced ways of thinking and perceiving, practice self-care and self-compassion, and build connections to community resources so that healing continues beyond the confines of the therapy session.
4. Recovery-oriented: We believe in an individualized, person-centered approach to overcoming behavioral health challenges that emphasizes the individual’s unique values and goals for their lives.
5. Culturally-competent: We value an environment of mutual respect and compassion, endeavoring to create a safe and welcoming space for all people, while celebrating the strength, beauty, and joy that our diversity brings.